When I teach about pet first aid and CPR, I always emphasize that prevention is better than cure. Knowing what to do in an emergency is vital information; preventing that emergency in the first place is a better plan. Here are some dangers you may not have considered: A complete list can be found at ASPCA.org . The Pet Tech App also lists these for when you are away from your computer.
Many varieties of plants can be toxic and even deadly.
Examples of plants that most of us have in our yards or homes in Indiana:
Lilies, Lily of the Valley, Amaryllis, Chrysanthemum, Philodedron, Bigiscus, Hydrangea, Azalea, Tulip bulbs, Narcissus and rhodedendron bulbs.
Sharing table food and snacks may seem like love but can be unhealthy and even dangerous. Common foods that pose an immediate risk include:
Caffeine, Chocolate, Cough drops, Tea, Vitamin supplement overdose, Xylitol, Raisins, Grapes to name a few.
Have you ever had a puppy or kitten chew on the cord to a lamp? Maybe it tastes good to them, or maybe it is just in their line of sight. In any case, it is dangerous. If the lamp is off, chewed pieces could cause choking. If the lamp is on it means electrical burn or even death. If it wraps around the neck, strangulation. The other big "dangling" danger is window blind cords. A cat can get a leg or her neck caught and cause great muscle damage or strangulation.
To help solve this problem there are devices that can hide all the excess wire to an appliance or computer. They can be wrapped in Crittercord which is a chew-proof plastic covering or sprayed with bitter apple to make them taste unappealing.
Cleaning products that are not labeled non-toxic or environmentally friendly have the potential to be harmful and even fatal. For example, bleach.which is used in many kennels to clean the cement floor. When used in a diluted solution in a ventilated room and allowed to dry before the animal returns, this is safe. If the animal gets into the bottle of undiluted bleach, it can be fatal.Any product that leaves a vapor in the air, or residue on the surface can harm you and your pet.